Thursday, May 21, 2009

Week 9 -- #21 Podcasts

When I began this assignment, I went to the directories listed but the only one that was a working link was Podcastalley.com. I found the site to be user friendly but must admit, that a podcast has to be VERY good and engaging or I get bored with them very easily. Some of the ones I listened to didn't stay on very long with me, but that's just a personal preference. I did a search for 'fiction books'. I had 200 results and found one that said "Free Podcast Novel". When I clicked that I wanted to listen to it, I was re-directed to a site that said I had to download a Podcast Aggregator. I clicked on that and did a download, even though I've played podcasts on my computer before and did not need the Aggregator. I found that basically all it did was download a bunch of them at one time and then said I could add them to my collection at "Podshow" (which I don't belong to). To be honest, I was getting a bit frustrated at this point because I couldn't understand why I've been able to play other podcasts with just a simple download or 'listen to' button. I then decided to do a search for other podcasting directories to see if I could find one that didn't not require the downloaded aggregator. Podcastdirectory.com was one of the first ones on a couple search engines so decided to go there. Once again, it was set up by categories but had a search feature. I still had difficulty finding anything that I really felt was what I wanted so I went back to search engines and did searches such as "childrens literature + podcasts" and was able to find some that I liked. I added the RSS feed for a Harry Potter one to my bloglines.

No comments:

Post a Comment